Maintaining Your Electrified ToyotaOct 25th, 2023
With the rise of Electrified Vehicles, it’s evident that the future of automobiles is now brighter than ever. At Granville Toyota, we’ve been at the forefront of this evolution since we introduced the Prius to Canada in 2001. Over the years, Electrified Vehicles have become more efficient, accessible, and far less complicated. However, just like their gasoline counterparts, they require regular maintenance to keep them running smoothly. Our Electrified Service Experts recommend a routine service appointment every 6 months or 8,000 km – the same interval as traditional gas vehicles. If you’re curious about what goes into the maintenance of an EV, allow us to guide you through the process.
Toyota’s Range of Electrified Powertrains
Toyota offers a diverse selection of EV powertrains including:
- Hybrid Electric (HEV)
- Plug-in Hybrid Electric (PHEV)
- Battery Electric (BEV)
- Hydrogen Fuel Cell Electric (FCEV).
What Your Regular Service Entails
When you bring in your Electrified Vehicle to your local Toyota Dealer, you’ll find the process isn’t all that different from any other vehicle. Here’s what you can expect:
- Brake Inspection: Our skilled technicians will carefully examine the brake components, including pads, calipers, rotors, brake lines, and hoses. Thanks to regenerative braking, the lifespan of your brake pads and rotors tends to be longer compared to those in a traditional gas vehicle.
Quick Insight: Regenerative braking captures energy during braking and converts it into electrical power, recharging the vehicle’s high-voltage battery.
- Cabin Air Filter Inspection: Like in a gas-powered vehicle, regular inspection of cabin air filters is crucial to maintain optimal airflow through your heating and air conditioning system. Fresh filters also trap more dust, pollen, and unwanted particles.
- Tire Inspection: Tire maintenance is important for all vehicles, but it’s especially critical for EVs. Our Toyota Tire Experts will check and record your tire tread depth at each service appointment. The instant torque and added weight from the Electric Battery can lead to quicker tread wear.
- Wiper Blade Inspection: Wiper blades on all vehicles wear over time. Our experts will inspect them to ensure they effectively clear your windshield, providing you with optimal visibility in all weather conditions.
In addition to the above, our Toyota Electrified Service Experts may also:
- Inspect and adjust fluid and coolant levels, and check for leaks where applicable.
- Inspect all lights and horn for proper operation.
- Rotate tires if necessary, or complete a seasonal tire changeover.
- Record all inspection results, measurements, and component conditions on an inspection form and repair order form.
Protecting Your EV Battery
For Electrified Vehicles equipped with a Hybrid Battery Cooling Intake Filter, our experts will visually inspect and clean it if necessary. This ensures your EV Battery is safeguarded from unwanted debris and contaminants.
A Closer Look at the 12V Auxiliary Battery
All Toyota vehicles, whether gas or Electrified, come equipped with a 12V auxiliary battery under the hood. This battery powers features like lights and the radio, and even contributes to the engine start. Our Toyota Electrified Service Experts will perform a 12V Battery Health Check at your 24-month or 36,000 km service appointment to ensure it’s running at its best.
Genuine Parts for Peak Performance
Rest assured that any repairs or replacements made by our Toyota Electrified Service Experts will be done with Toyota Genuine Parts designed specifically for your Toyota Electrified Vehicle. This ensures you experience peak performance on every drive.
Schedule Your Service with Confidence
Now that you’re familiar with what to expect during your regular Electrified Vehicle service appointment, don’t hesitate to book one with your local Toyota Dealer. Remember, adhering to a regular maintenance schedule can help guarantee your Electrified Vehicle performs at its best for years to come. If you have any questions about Electrified Service, our Toyota Experts are always here to assist you.
Note: This blog post is for informational purposes only. For specific maintenance requirements and schedules, please refer to your Toyota vehicle’s manual or consult with a certified Toyota technician.